Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Elemental Travail: Adventures in Chemistry Class


A friend asked if I could find an article she’d written long ago for our high school newspaper. That led to an evening of nostalgia spent leafing through creased and crumbling issues of “The Talon” and poking around online to track news from the past. It saddened me to find that one of Santa Rita’s superstars, chemistry teacher Mr. W. A. O’Donald, passed away almost a year ago. He was in all ways an excellent teacher and is a significant figure in my academic folklore.

Mr. O’Donald was tall and, in the early ‘70s, balding and filling out a little. He wore a white button-down shirt and a tie every day. Every day he reminded us to read the bulletin board by the door. On the last day of the second semester final he walked over to it and pulled from under a thumbtack the scoring key for the final we were about to take. It had been up there for a month. He would toss small sueded rubber erasers at the daydreamers. He never missed; each time they landed gently on the top of our heads. I would add mine to the line of them waiting on the edge of the demo table and return to my desk in the second row where I sat by alphabetical assignment.

One day I was thoroughly absent while sitting in class and sensed that I’d been asked a direct question.  Mr. O’Donald repeated, “What is delta T?”  Marc (yes, the same Marc often featured in this blog) saw my blank look and whispered across the aisle, “Change in temperature”. I looked equally vapidly at him. Marc leaned a little more over his desktop and whispered again, louder, “Change in temperature.” Confused and irritated, I turned to look at Marc full face, “WHAT?” Marc laid his forehead on his desk as Mr. O’Donald thanked him ever so insincerely for his help.

I am a wool-gatherer still, but Mr. O’Donald did cure me of one miserable study habit. After announcements one morning early in the year, he handed a beaker of clear, colorless liquid to the student in front of me and directed her to assess it without comment and pass it on. She held the beaker chest high, waved her hand over it and then turned to give it to me. I was always a little stuffy so I raised it close to my nose and took a hearty sniff.  I coughed, gasped, choked and teared up, barely managing to set down the ammonia-filled beaker. Mr. O’Donald asked the class, “Anyone else fail to do the homework on the preliminary identification of unknown substances?”

I read assignments after that and tried hard to focus on lectures, but lab-times remained trials to me, Mr. O’Donald and Marc, who for some inexplicable reason had volunteered to be my lab partner. I didn’t blow anything up, but nothing glass made it through the hour. Mr. O’Donald kept a slip with my name on it ready so I could go pay at the bookstore for the latest broken beaker or retort. I never wondered until today why my particular fines had to be settled that very period. Test tubes I got for free, although the time spent sweeping them up from the floor meant I was usually in detention for chronic tardiness to my next class.

The only time Mr. O’Donald edged toward overt frustration was the day I broke the piston burette mounted to the wall of our station. I had run a sponge over the countertop but there wasn’t quite enough room under the burette’s lower spout for both the sponge and the back of my hand. The whole apparatus exploded off the wall. Splinters of glass flew everywhere, fortunately without injuring me or my long-suffering lab partner.  My parents were used to the supplies and equipment fines but their reaction to one for $125.00 was fierce.  By common consent thereafter I was restricted to observing and writing up lab results.

Similar challenges awaited my U of A chemistry professor three years later, but sadly, he fell far short. This anonymous individual did not have Mr. O’Donald’s rapport, sardonic humor or endurance and so I do not have a bachelor’s of science degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment